skip to content

Speech-Language Pathologists

Complaints Concerning Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists
Health Dept.   Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist Advisory Council  
If a consumer believes that a speech-language pathologist or audiologist does not meet the standards of their profession, they can file a complaint with the Minnesota Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist Advisory Council. This council and the commissioner of health investigate signed complaints, or other signed written communication, that alleges or implies that someone has violated the licensing rules for speech-language pathologists and audiologists. If the commissioner or advisory council finds someone guilty after an investigation and a hearing, they can suspend, revoke, or refuse to renew the license of the practitioner. MN Staute 148.5195. To file a complaint contact the Health Occupation Program at 1-800-657-3837 or visit their Complaint Process Website for Audiologists and Speech Language Pathologist.

Practice of Speech-Language Pathology
Revisor's Office  
The practice of speech-language pathology includes the identification, assessment, diagnosis, and rehabilitation of disorders in speech, articulation, fluency, voice, and language. Speech-language pathologists can sell products to improve a client's ability to communicate. MN Statute 148.512

Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist Advisory Council
Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologist Advisory Council  
The Advisory Council advises the commissioner on a number of speech-language pathologist and audiologist related issues including licensure standards and applications. The Council also makes recommendations to the commissioner of health concerning investigations of complaints, continuing education for licensed professionals, and training requirements of professional assistants. The Council must include three members from the public that are receiving services from a speech-language pathologist or audiologist or a family member/caregiver of a person receiving services. MN Statute 148.5196

Speech-Language Pathology Services Covered by Medical Assistance
Human Services Dept.  
Medical Assistance will pay for speech-language services if: a physician or other licensed practitioner has made a written referral; the services are provided by a speech-language pathologist; the physician believes that the recipient can achieve his/her plan of care within a 60 day period; and the recipient's plan of care is reviewed every 60 days or when it is medically necessary. MN Rule 9505.0390

back to top